Presentation Guidelines: Fabric and Fashion Design
Find this page at:
- To develop leadership abilities and build character.
- To build self-confidence and poise by developing:
- skills necessary to organize and plan a presentation using a particular technique.
- ability to select the most suitable sewing technique to achieve a quality product.
- ability to present sewing information in an effective way to various audiences or groups, and
- knowledge of and skill in the use of decision-making processes.
Individuals may compete.
- 9-10 – 4-H’er must be 9 years old prior to January 1 of the current year and not have reached their eleventh burthday before January 1 of the current year.
- 11-13 – 4-H’er must be eleven years old prior to January 1 of the current year and not have reached their fourteenth birthday before January 1 of the current year.
- 14-18 – 4-H’er must be fourteen years of age prior to January 1 of the current year, and not have reached their nineteenth birthday before January 1 of the current year.
Resources: See Family and Consumer Resources Guide.
- See NC 4-H Presentation Regulations.
- NC 4-H Presentation Scoresheet 9-13…in PDF
- NC 4-H Presentation Scoresheet 14-18…in PDF
- A neat appearance in appropriate clothing attire for presentation delivery is important.
- The types and usefulness of visual aids is determined by the type of presentation. Visual aids should support the presentation.
- Emphasis should be on Apparel and related textiles.
- Acceptable presentation topics do not include aesthetics, such as color coordination, proportion, line and design, etc.
- Specific focus should include any one of the following subheadings:
- wardrobe selection and buymanship
- comparison shopping (choose one category, such as shirts, to compare shirts, jeans, pants, dresses, sweaters, jackets, etc.)
- How to Judge Quality in a Specific Apparel and Textile Item
- Care and Maintenance of Apparel and Textiles
- How to Select Storage Accessories for Specific Apparel and Textile Items
- Tips for Storing Out of Season Clothes
- How to Use Care Guide Labels in Caring for Clothes
- Best Practices for Laundering Clothes
- How to Repair a Specific Item, such as a zipper, ripped seam, hem, etc.
- How to Recycle a Specific Item, such as a shirt into a vest
- Pressing Techniques for a Specific Item, such as how to press pants
- Textile Science
- Study of Fibers and Their Characteristics and Uses (select one fiber – cotton, wool, linen, silk, nylon, polyester, acrylic, acetate, rayon, etc.)
- Study of Fabric Finishes and Their Uses (plain, twill, satin, basket)
- Clothing Construction
- Sewing Equipment and Its Uses
- Fabric Preparation and Pattern Layout
- How to Mark Garment Parts
- Pressing Tools and Their Uses
- Apparel Sewing Techniques – How to…
- Construct a Dart, zipper, waistband, neck facing, pleats, gathers, collars, sleeves, etc.
- Specific technique such as clean-finish, seam finishes, grade, clip and understich, using interfacing and lining.
- How To Work with Other Fabrics…
- Napped Fabrics, silk-like fabrics, stripes, plaids, sheers, etc.
- Clothing Entrepreurship
- Skills Needed To Run a Business
- Marketing My Product
- Learning How To Price My Product
District awards: Certificates for each division winner
State awards: $25 award for each division winner.
- Mitzi Stumpf
- Box 7606 NCSU
- Raleigh, NC 27695-7606
- Phone: 919-515-8478
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org