North Carolina 4-H Ambassador Program
The mission of the North Carolina 4-H Ambassador program is to empower teen 4-H leaders with the knowledge, skills, and aspirations necessary to be effective advocates for NC 4-H Youth Development. We strengthen and expand upon 4-H Ambassadors’ current leadership abilities so that they may serve as positive role models for younger youth; build meaningful partnerships with other teens, adult volunteers, and 4-H professionals; and promote the 4-H mission in North Carolina.
Our vision is that every North Carolina teen 4-H member will have the personal initiative, program resources, and leadership opportunities to be a positive role model and a vocal advocate for the 4-H program in our state.
Basic Premises of the NC 4-H Ambassador Program
- Encourages personal development and service to NC 4-H for teen 4-H members.
- Is based upon an individual teen’s performance towards established standards.
- Is self-based and self-paced
- Documents the teen’s accomplishments through a Personal Leadership Portfolio developed by the Ambassador based upon defined criteria.
NC 4-H Ambassador Program Guidelines
- To apply to become an NC 4-H Ambassador, a member must be at least 13 years old and have been a 4-H member for 2 years, both as of January 1.
- Ambassador registrations and portfolio submissions must be approved by the county 4-H professional prior to submission to the State Ambassador Program Coordinator.
- Personal Leadership Portfolios compiled by the Ambassador candidate document individual achievements and must follow specified statewide guidelines.
- A 4-H member can achieve only one Ambassador level per portfolio submission. You must complete and have verified one level before advancing to the next.
- It is recommended that a 4-H member take no longer than 2 calendar years to complete a single Ambassador level. Requirements for each level must include only those activities and courses completed after January 1 of the year the member entered that level.
- Portfolios may be submitted for verification twice yearly, May 15 and October 15. For 2020 they are due postmarked June 15th.
- Ambassador Leadership Team members, including a trained county 4-H professional, an adult volunteer, and/or current Ambassador will review Portfolios, verify requirements, and award levels of achievement.
- All Ambassadors successfully completing any Ambassador level(s) will be recognized at the NC 4-H Congress each year.
Online Training Opportunities
Questions about Ambassadors? Contact April Dillon, email@example.com,
Office: 704-482-4365 or Cell: 828-766-0699